Kate offers functional testing to give you answers to what is causing your health problems.
Functional Testing for Fatigue
In fatigue there is often gut dysbiosis, so testing for the presence of infections including Candida, bad bacteria, SIBO, viruses and parasites often yields positive results.
Also it is common for people with fatigue to have food intolerances so doing this test often leads to positive results. It is also a useful test to determine if you have leaky gut.
Please note that in order for you to buy a test, you must be a current client on my 12 Week Fatigue-Fighting Programme or one of my 1-to-1 Coaching Packages.
How it works:
- Firstly you would contact me to arrange to order a test.
- Next you would transfer payment for the test to me online.
- Then I would order your test and arrange for the test kit to be delivered to your house.
- You would follow the instructions in the test kit and post the sample in the envelope provided to the laboratory on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
- When I have received your test results, I will contact you to arrange a follow up appointment to explain your results and the next steps to take.
- Finally I will email you the test results.
Turn around time: 20 working days
The GI EcologiX is the most comprehensive stool test that uses cutting edge DNA testing PCR technology to test for:
- Beta Defensin 2
- Pancreatic Elastase
- Secretory IgA
- Zonulin – marker for leaky gut
- Good bacteria
- Bacteroides sub-group
- Clostridium sub-group
- Opportunistic bacteria
- Sulfidogenic bacteria
- LPS forming bacteria
- Mycology e.g. yeast infections such as candida overgrowth
- Parasitology including Blastocystis hominis, Dientamoeba fragilis, Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia
- H Pylori + stool antigen
Undertaking this test can give us an overall picture of the imbalances in the gut that cause symptoms such as bloating, stomach pains, flatulence and fatigue, which can then be rectified.
Note: 3 days before taking your sample, consider stopping anti-inflammatories and steroids.
24 hours before taking your sample, consider stopping anti-inflammatories, steroids, Vitamin C >250mg/d, NSAIDs and IBS medication.
Also if using steroid cream, shower before & ensure all washed off.
Long term antibiotics and probiotics can be continued.
Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (CDSA)
Turn around time: 3 weeks
The Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (CDSA) is a stool profile providing an informative and flexible screening of gastrointestinal function. It is a great test for finding markers of malabsorption. This stool analysis evaluates:
- Putrefactive Short–Chain Fatty Acids
- Meat and Vegetable Fibers
- Fecal Fats
- Gut Metabolic Markers
- Beneficial Short–Chain Fatty Acids (SCFA) with n–Butyrate
- SCFA distribution
- Fecal Lactoferrin
- Macroscopic (color, mucus)
- Occult Blood
- Gut Microbiology Markers
- Beneficial Bacteria
- Additional Bacteria
This CDSA also has optional add-ons that are charged additionally including:
- Macroscopic examination for parasitic worms £35.
- Calprotectin – a marker for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis £65
- Pancreatic elastase – a marker for protein digestion via pancreatic enzymes £105
- Bile acids – a marker for fat digestion £86
- Eosinophil protein X £40
- Helicobacter pylori EIA a bacteria that can cause stomach pain £90
- Clostridium difficile EIA £55
Also a stool test for Zonulin, which is a marker for leaky gut, can be ordered for £90.
Note: It is recommended to stop taking digestive enzymes, antibiotics, antifungals, and probiotic supplements and foods including activated yoghurt, kefir, kimchi and sauerkraut for 2 weeks before doing the CDSA test.
Organix Dysbiosis Profile
Turn around time: 2.5 weeks
This organic acids urine test is an accurate way to confirm if you have a Candida overgrowth in your small or large intestines.
- Reports D-arabinitol, a specific marker for Candida sp., which can cause disease in patients, especially if they are immunocompromised.
- Reports D-lactate, an indicator of L. acidophilus overgrowth and carbohydrate malabsorption.
- An economical follow-up test for practitioners to monitor targeted therapy.
Lyme Disease Test
Turn around time: 5-7 working days
A combination of the Elispot test and CD3-/CD57+ Cells test is the most accurate way to test for Lyme disease.
The Elispot test detects Borrelia IgG and IgM antibodies, markers for Lyme disease.
The CD3-/CD57+ Cells test measures your levels of Natural Killer (NK) Cells which are low in chronic Lyme disease.
The Lyme Disease Test can eliminate some problems:
- The test reflects the current Borrelia burgdorferi activity of chronic and recent infections.
- The EliSpot is highly sensitive and can detect even one single Borrelia burgdorferi-reactive T-cell. With detection levels that can be as low as one cell in 100,000, the EliSpot is one of the most sensitive cellular assays available.
- The EliSpot is between 20 and 200 times more sensitive than a conventional ELISA.
- The EliSpot displays a similar sensitivity as a RT-PCR (Real Time PCR) analysis, but detects the secreted protein instead of the mRNA (messanger RNA).
- The EliSpot can be helpful when monitoring therapies. The EliSpot should usually become negative about 4 to 8 weeks after the completion of an effective therapy.
Food Intolerance Test
Turn around time: 1.5 weeks
By doing this IgG blood test you can learn what food intolerances you have and what next steps to take. It tests for over 87 commonly consumed foods including wheat, gluten, and cow’s milk and also tests for overall IgE allergy antibodies.
It’s also a useful to test to determine if you have leaky gut.
How It Works
- After you have made the online payment for the test, Kate would order the test kit and have it delivered to your house.
- Then you would need to go to a local phlebotomist to have a sample of your blood taken at an additional cost. Kate will send you a link to a list of recommend local phlebotomists. Next you would post the sample to the laboratory immediately after taking on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
- When Kate has received your results, she would contact you to arrange an appointment to explain the results and the next steps to take.
SIBO Breath Test
Turn around time: 7 working days
The SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth) profile is a non-invasive breath test which capture exhaled hydrogen (H2) and methane (CH4) gases following patient ingestion of a lactulose solution to evaluate bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine. Levels of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) are also measured in every sample for quality control purposes.
This test confirms the presence of hydrogen- or methane-producing SIBO bacteria which can then be treated accordingly.
Note: -15 ml 3.3g/5ml of lactulose (will need to be purchased from your local pharmacy)
-This test uses lactulose; since lactulose contains galactose and lactose, it is not recommended for individuals who have had allergic reactions to lactulose, or who are on a galactose/ lactose-restricted diet. It should be used with caution in diabetics.
Before doing the SIBO breath test, please wait 4 weeks from your last dose of antibiotics, colonoscopy or barium enema. Also wait at least 2-4 weeks from your last dose of antifungals, Bismuth Subsalicylate, or herbal/natural antimicrobial products.
Comprehensive Thyroid Test
Turn around time: 2-3 days
Symptoms of underactive thyroid include:
- Weight gain
- Feeling too cold or too hot
You can get your GP to test for thyroid hormone levels for free. They normally test for TSH and sometimes also inactive prohormone T4.
However if you want more comprehensive thyroid hormone testing to determine your level of active thyroid hormone T3 and thyroid antibodies, I can provide private testing. This test determines your levels of TSH, T4, T3, TPOAb (anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies) and TGAb (anti-thyroglobulin antibodies), vitamin D, vitamin B12, folate and ferritin.
Hair Mineral Analysis
Turn around time: 3 weeks
Hair testing gives us a more accurate picture of body tissue levels of minerals and heavy metals than blood testing, as hair is a tissue. Furthermore hair is used by the body to dump excess minerals and heavy metals.
This tests for your cell levels of 35 different mineral and toxic heavy metals including Ca, Mg, P, K, Na, Fe, Cu, Zn, Cr, Mn, Se, Ni, Co, Pb, Hg, Cd, As & Al. After this test you can follow a mineral balancing and heavy metal detoxification protocol.
Furthermore if you would like to order a test or find out more information about which tests are suitable for you, please click here to book a free fatigue breakthrough call.