It’s the new year! January is a great time to detox your body so that you are fresh as the new year begins. I have written these 10 steps as a guide to help you to achieve your new year’s resolution of detoxing. Here are my top 10 tips for detoxing including simple but effective ways to detox.
Top 1o Tips for Detoxing
- Eat more organic food – reduce your exposure to toxic pesticides by eating organic as much as possible. When you consume pesticides, they are stored in your body as fat and are very difficult to eliminate.
- Reduce processed foods that are high in sugar – when you eat sugar it converts to fat inside the body if not used up during exercise. Sugar is also highly acid and can cause inflammation in the body.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine – when you drink alcohol it poisons your body and puts the liver under stress to clear it from your body. If you consume caffeinated drinks such as coffee and black tea, it stimulates your adrenals depleting your body of nutrients. They also dehydrate the body. Avoid these body stressors and drink plenty of water to flush out toxins.
- Drink plenty of water – Make sure you drink lots of herbal teas and at least 6-8 glasses of water per day. Water suppresses the appetite and prevents fat depositing in the body. It also reduces water retention and encourages toxins to be flushed through the body.
- Green smoothies – you can pack your smoothie full of antioxidants and nutrients to help you detox. Try making a green smoothie with this recipe: handful of spinach, 1 apple, 1 banana, half an avocado, half a cucumber and 1 litre of water. This recipe make 2 500ml glasses of green smoothie.
- Zeolite powder – zeolite is a powdered clay that has an affinity for binding to heavy metals such as lead, mercury and arsenic. It clasps to these toxic metals and flushes them out of your body.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables – increase your fruit and vegetable consumption to 5-10 portions per day to alkalise the body. Onions, ginger, spring greens, spinach, pak choy, celery, pineapple and apples are all great foods for detoxing. Radicchio, chicory, fennel, celeriac, rocket and bitter foods help to cleanse the liver, which aids detoxification.
- Vegetarian diet – reduce your consumption of meat, dairy and other animal products which are acidic and mucus forming in the body. Increase your intake of vegetables, legumes and whole grains. When you are on a healthy vegetarian diet, you naturally lose weight and detoxify your body.
- Exercise regularly – when you exercise regularly it improves your circulation which helps to move toxins out of the body.
I hope my top 10 tips for detoxing have inspired you to start cleansing your body. If you would like more information on detoxing, contact Kate on 07562 868342 for a free 15 minute nutrition consultation.